Instructional Design and Technology

The definition of instructional technology has changed many times.  The first approved definition was in 1963 and then changed in 1970, 1977, 1994, and again in 2008. “Early definitions of the field of instructional technology focused on instructional media—the physical means via which instruction is presented to learners.(Reiser & Dempsey, 2012).
In 1963 the definition focused on “the design and use of messages which control the learning process” (p. 38) rather than focusing on media. The definition changed in 1970. This definition stated instructional technology meant “the media born of the communications revolution which can be used for instructional purposes alongside the teacher, textbook, and blackboard.”  The definition continued to change over time.  In 1977 it changed again.  This time the definition of educational technology was “a complex, integrated process involving people, procedures, ideas, devices, and organization, for analyzing problems and devising, implementing, evaluating, and managing solutions to those problems, involved in all aspects of human learning.” (Reiser & Dempsey, 2012)In 1994, the definition stated “Instructional Technology is the theory and practice of design, development, utilization, management, and evaluation of processes and resources for learning.” And lastly in 2008, educational technology was defined as “the study and ethical practice of facilitating learning and improving performance by creating, using, and managing appropriate technological processes and resources.” (Reiser & Dempsey, 2012).
My definition of instructional/ educational technology is creating curriculum based lessons with a high level of critical thinking and using technology to promote higher level thinking and project based lessons.  The definition that I have developed for myself was created after years of trying to go paper free.  I wanted to find a way to involve students in their own learning and I knew that many students were spending much of their free time at home playing video games.  Even though I work in a Title 1 district, it seemed that all my students had a personal device and that the school was more than willing to help with technology devices.  I decided to try and marry video games and personal devices with classroom learning and project based lessons. Of course, most of this ended up being trial and error.  I would find a resource I wanted to try and I thought would work well in the classroom.  I would use it in the lesson and evaluate.  If the students did well with the project or technology I would put it in my “use again” pile and try something new.  If it didn’t work I would scratch it and try again.  My goal was to create and discover as many technology resources, plans, and projects so that students would eventually have a wide range of choices.  After I found about 5 really good resources such as Google Classroom, Padlet, Twitter, iMovie, YouTube, and a few others, I began to move towards a project based learning classroom.  I would do my mini lessons and evaluate, reteach, and reassess and then I would allow the students to show me their knowledge of the unit in their way.  They would have a project menu and would use technology to create and share assignments with each other and me.  My definition of instructional/ educational technology has changed slightly after reading the first chapter because I assumed the definition was how it was being incorporated into the classroom, however it seems that the definition of instructional/ educational technology is the resources and devices used to develop lessons in the classroom.
The Six characteristics of instructional design based on the textbook Trends and Issues in Instructional Design and Technology by Reiser and Dempsey include the following:    
1. Instructional design is student centered.
2. Instructional design is goal oriented.                       
3. Instructional design focuses on meaningful performance.
4. Instructional design assumes outcomes can be measured in a reliable and valid way.
5. Instructional design is empirical, iterative, and self- correcting.
6. Instructional design typically is a team effort.  (Reiser & Dempsey, 2012).
This last year I designed a lesson after we read the novel Freak the Mighty.  Students could use their personal devices, laptops, and classroom iPads to access the technology platforms I used. I used www.Weebly.com to incorporate YouTube, Twitter, and Padlet into the classroom. Weebly was the website design technology in which I posted information to my students.  I used the blog to communicate important TEKS, big ideas, vocabulary, and assignments we completed.  I also used this page to post finished products and student-created works.  I linked YouTube videos (from my YouTube account and created playlists) to my blog so that students could view lessons, and Padlet was imbedded so that students could create an interactive exit ticket each day.  Twitter was also used to communicate with parents, staff, students, and Irving ISD- to give them insight into our classroom.  I believe after learning the six characteristics of instructional design that I may have left something out.  If reassigning this assignment, I would focus more on number 4, “Instructional design assumes outcomes can be measured in a reliable and valid way.”  I would have incorporated a rubric so students could measure their success and evaluate their weaknesses.  
“In recent years, computers and related technologies have had a greater effect on instructional practices and learning than did the various media that preceded them. The interactive capabilities of these media, their ability to present information and instruction in a wide variety of forms, and the ease with which learners can create and share their own knowledge and skills via these media appear to be some of the primary reasons why these media have had a greater influence on instruction and learning.” (Reiser & Dempsey, 2012). Reiser excludes teachers from the definition of instructional media because, in my opinion he believes they are resistant to change.   He states in the text that “The likely reasons as to why each medium had minimal effects on practice are many. Those that are frequently cited include teacher resistance to change.” My belief here is dramatically different than the authors.  I believe that teachers, textbooks, and chalkboards should all be considered instructional media because they are platforms and resources where students can obtain knowledge.  I do not believe that the purpose of instructional design should always be to incorporate media in to the instruction, however I believe it is the responsibility of teachers to differentiate and ensure the lessons are exciting and engaging to students.  If using technology in the lesson encourages and fosters learning more than doing a worksheet I believe it should be incorporated.


Reiser, R., & Dempsey, J. Trends and issues in instructional design and technology (3rd ed.).

Comments

  1. I agree with your assessment that teachers/textbooks/chalkboard are instructional media, because they (we) are resources. In addition, I agree with the incorporating technology applications- not only can they be a resource, but they are engaging and interactive. You mentioned classroom iPads- how many do you have? I don't have any dedicated technology in my room; I have to schedule access to a lab or set of Chromebooks, which can make the incorporation challenging. Wifi/signal strength is also an issue, if I let them use their phones to complete something. For example, we played a review game on Kahoot, so only one student per group needed a good connection, but even then we had momentary lapses. Then the competitive teenagers get very fired up! You mentioned incorporating a rubric- I like ones that have two columns, for student self-evaluation and mine. On their End of Course exam, 10th grade writes a persuasive essay, so when we complete them in class, I have students score themselves, then I do, then we compare. They like seeing the similarities and differences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pamela,
    The way you broke down each decade of change was excellent. You are should try living through each one. The second you thought you had a handle on the new hotness it changed. They was my plight of 45+ years of teaching. I always wanted to be on the cutting edge of innovation and design when I came to education so I embrace each change with enthusiasm, but fast as I grasped one thing a new one was introduced. Administrators required that we get on board immediately. Many teachers dug their heels in and flatly refused to learn the new technology opting to have the wait and see attitude only to find themselves further behind as the changes came down.
    The only reason you can notice so much change is because those teachers have retired or died. The new crop of young professionals had to use many of these devices just to get out of college. I know you think Reiser & Dempsey are trying to put down the use of teachers, chalkboard and textbooks but I lived through how resistant teachers where to these changes. Only the young newly graduated or new to the profession really got a hold of this and began to make it work. These are just “old school methods” and they do have their place but we have to teach children to be able to adapt and make changes as the times change. They need to use and be familiar with these technological advances so that they can get the jobs of the future and be able to not become antiquated you may not have seen how many jobs were lost as technology took out the backbreaking task of the workforce. Physical labor is still necessary but it is technology assisted physical labor.
    Just a textbook limits the ideas and resources out there that is available to our youth far beyond the textbook. The textbook is only a one-sided view of one or two author’s opinions. There is so much more information out there for our youth to tap into that my change the direction of their lives and how they want to learn the things they are curious about. Don’t get me wrong all of these things have their place but children need more and they will get it whether we offer them the opportunity or not. There was some key ideas and thought that was brought to mind from ETEC 524 the article was “Current Trends in Educational Technology Research: The Study of Learning Environments” by William Winn (Winn, 2002). In this article on p. 333 section titled: “The Age of Message Design: A focus on format” he touches of several of the aspects we are discussing now. It was an excellent and informative read. It might shed some additional light on our discussion. Your last and final statement is spot on, I totally agree!

    References
    Winn, w. (2002). Current trends in educational technology research: The study of learning environments. Educational Psychology Review, 331-351.


    ReplyDelete
  3. Pamela, your comparison with your teaching and the information presented concerning your lesson design and using ADDIE was effectively done. I like the disagreement with the mention of the use of the teacher, it shows that you have a strong understanding of the problem concerning taking the teacher out and at the least the teacher should be considered a resource. Your self reflection and self assessment shows that you have changed your own learning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pamela,

    You deserve to be commended for having the patience to try so many different tools. Like you mentioned, it is trial and error. Out of the five that you landed on, I really enjoying using Paddlet, Google Classroom, and iMovie. Having a rubric would be great. It is greatly beneficial for students to know what is needed to obtain the grade they are striving for. Like you, I really to have students demonstrate their understanding. Great post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts