Current Issues for IDT
1. Section VIII addresses new directions and emerging technologies for IDT. Select three of the following and reflect on how you might apply them in your current or future position in the IDT field: distributed or e-learning environments, reusable design or learning objects,
networks or Web 2.0 technologies, rich media, digital games or simulations, virtual worlds.
What learning goals or objectives could the technologies you selected help learners foster? Could the technology facilitate attainment of that learning goal better than traditional instruction? Why or why not?
I must say that I am a technology nerd- in my classroom, and this next school year in my new position as the librarian at Townsell Elementary. I have been a project based learning classroom “mediator” for the past three years because I find that this type of instruction encourages problem and solution critical thinking skills. These skills, when used in conjunction with technology, really engage students and will help them collaborate with others as adults and find solutions to larger issues. Even in a Title 1 school district I have found that a majority of my students have access to the internet and personal devices such as tablets, iPads, smart phones etc. This has allowed me to incorporate technology into all of my lessons, even when we did not have the technology in our classroom.
I have created an e-learning environment in my classroom for the last 3 years. I used Google classroom, Weebly blogs, Edmodo, Padlet, Smore, Youtube, and Twitter to create an all encompassing learning environment where students were responsible for their own learning. I was able to be more of a mediator/ facilitator of learning and conference with students digitally on a daily basis. An example of this is my lesson for the novel Freak the Mighty. Students were allowed to use their personal devices, laptops, and classroom iPads to access the technology platforms I used. I used www.Weebly.com to incorporate YouTube, Twitter, and Padlet into the classroom. Weebly is the free website design technology in which I posted information to my students. I used the blog to communicate important TEKS, big ideas, vocabulary, and assignments we completed. I also used this page to post finished products and student-created works. I linked YouTube videos (from my Youtube account and created playlists) to my blog so that students could view lessons, and Padlet was embedded so that students could create an interactive exit ticket each day. Twitter was also used to communicate with parents, staff, students, and Irving ISD- to give them insight into our classroom.
Web 2.0 resources allow users to collaborate rather than just receive information. Users can build and interact with the content. There are number of different types of web 2.0 applications including wikis, blogs, social networking, podcasting & content hosting services. I am a Web 2.0 geek and am constantly searching for new and cutting edge applications for my students to use. I have even been asked to create and deliver professional development on this because of my success in the classroom. I used these resources to create my e-learning environment. This allowed me to create my project based learning format and a flipped classroom. I used Google classroom, Weebly blogs, Edmodo, Padlet, Smore, Youtube, and Twitter to create an all encompassing learning environment where students were responsible for their own learning. I was able to be more of a mediator/ facilitator of learning and conference with students digitally on a daily basis. Students were allowed to use their personal devices, laptops, and classroom iPads to access the technology platforms. I incorporated YouTube, Twitter, and Padlet into the classroom. I blogged to communicate important TEKS, big ideas, vocabulary, and assignments we completed. I linked YouTube videos (from my Youtube account and created playlists) to my blog so that students could view lessons, and Padlet was imbedded so that students could create an interactive exit ticket each day. Twitter was also used to communicate with parents, staff, students, and Irving ISD- to give them insight into our classroom. Students were asked to collaborate with me and add to the blogs, Padlet, and YouTube channel.
Learning games can be interactive digital activities that fit within the curriculum. I have found digital games that are ELAR based for the exact TEK I am working with. These games not only help the student strengthen the skills needed for success, it also encourages them and motivates them to engage in the learning. Learning Farm is a great example of this. http://www.learningfarm.com/web/practicePassThrough.cfm?TopicID=1072
In my opinion e-learning environments, Web 2.0 technologies, and digital games facilitate attainment of the learning goals better than traditional instruction because the students are more engaged. While they should not be the only resource made available to reach the learning objectives, they engage students in a stronger way than most traditional ways (lecture style teaching and worksheets). It allows them to solve problems and think critically in this 21st century.
2. Section IX focuses on issues related to instructional design, rather than new technologies: professional ethics, diversity and accessibility, the nature of design, and providing instructional guidance. For each of the technologies you selected above, discuss what ethical issues using the technology might present. Does the technology enhance accessibility and accommodate diverse learning needs? How and/or can you design instruction using that technology? How much guidance would instruction with that technology require? What kinds of guidance would be necessary?
While e-learning environments, web 2.0 resources, and digital games enhance accessibility and allow for differentiation in the classroom, it is very important for the teacher to be a true facilitator and monitor in the classroom. I have found that anytime students are working collaboratively with personal devices and technology, the teacher needs to be very aware of what is going on. This means she needs to engaged with the groups and conversing with the students. It is possible, when given this type of freedom, that students will choose to explore other areas of the internet that would not be school or lesson appropriate, With Web 2.0 resources, it is a good idea to set up your students’ blogs and posts so that you have to approve them before they are posting, This will cut down on many inappropriate issues. With digital games in particular the teacher needs to preview these before allowing students to participate during instructional time. An example of this is www.coolmathgames.com. This sounds like a great resource right? I can tell you from experience that the games on this site have absolutely nothing to do with math.
References
Reiser, R. A. & Dempsey, J. V. (2012). Trends and Issues in Instructional Design and Technology, 3rd ed. Boston: Pearson.
Christel, Mary, and Scott Sullivan, eds. 2007. Lesson Plans for Creating Media-Rich Classrooms. Urbana, IL:
Comments
Post a Comment