Epistemology and Learning Theories
Epistemology (the study of what and how we come to know) is
discussed in multiple chapters in this section. Distinguish epistemology from
instructional methods or theories. What are the differences between theories,
methods, or models of learning and epistemologies or underlying beliefs about
ways of knowing?
Epistemology
is defined by Webster’s Dictionary as “The study or a theory of the nature and
grounds of knowledge especially with reference to its limits and validity”. Epistemology is different from instructional
methods because epistemology is a metaphysical
view of how we learn. It is theory.
Learning theories such as those discussed in Chapter 4, deal more with
real world function. In the text Trends and Issues in
Instructional Design and Technology, Robert Reiser, discusses different
learning theories such as B.F Skinner’s Behavioral Learning Theory. Skinner states “The consequences of a
behavior then determine whether it is repeated and thus considered to be learned.
For instance, a learner who is rewarded with a teacher’s smile for paying
attention in class will be more likely to follow the teacher’s direction at a
later time than one whose behavior goes unnoticed.” (Reiser & Dempsey, 2012). Other learning theories discussed in the text include the
Cognitive Information Processing Theory.
Atkinson and Shriffin’s created a multistage theory of memory. This theory has developed the way educators
understand the information processing theory today. “Three memory systems in the learner
(sensory, short-term, and long-term memory) are assumed to receive information
from the environment and transform it for storage and use in memory and
performance.” (Reiser
& Dempsey, 2012).
The text also illustrates the Cognitive Load Theory by Sweller, van
Merriënboer. Van Merriënboer suggested
“Instructional strategies designed to reduce extraneous cognitive load in
instructional materials.” In laments
terms, educators should not overload students with information that is not important
to the task. Robert M. Gagné developed
a theory of instruction that declared “Instruction and how what is known about
learning can be systematically related to the design of instruction.” Gagné proposed an integrated and
comprehensive theory of instruction that is based primarily on two foundations:
cognitive information processing theory and Gagné’s own observations of
effective teachers in the classroom. The
text also depicts the theory of Constructivism.
Reiser states that this theory has “had a substantial impact on views
pertaining to the learning conditions and instructional strategies believed to
support constructivist learning goals.” (Reiser & Dempsey, 2012).
Chapters in this
section discuss three contrasting epistemic stances: positivist, relativist,
and contextualist (or hermeneutical). Positivists believe that the only truth
or knowledge is objective truth. Relativists don’t believe that objective truth
is possible and that all knowledge is subjective to perception or relative to a
particular frame of reference. Contextualists believe that truth or knowledge
is relative to context rather than individual, subjective understanding. While
designers and educators with a positivist stance generally apply behaviorist
principles to the design and development of instruction, those with either a
contextualist or relativist epistemological framework employ constructivist
theories and methods. Reflect on whether your stance is primarily positivist,
relativist, or contextualist. Then, identify an instance when your perspective
or stance as a learner conflicted with that of your instructor. Describe the
conflict that you experienced and analyze whether opposing epistemic stances
may have been at the heart of the conflict.
I believe I have a constructivist
perspective approach in my classroom. Constructivists theory states “Constructivism as a paradigm or
worldview posits that learning is an active, constructive process. The learner
is an information constructor. People actively construct or create their own
subjective representations of objective reality. New information is linked to
to prior knowledge, thus mental representations are subjective.” (https://www.learning-theories.com/constructivism.html). I have been a project based teacher for
the last 2 years. Constructivist allow the classroom to be more
student
centered. Students are taught a mini lesson, or
multiple mini lessons in the unit and are then asked to create a project
(usually from a menu). Students are able to work
independently and collaboratively depending on their focus and goals. My learning objective clashed in
classrooms where the teacher would lecture and students would be expected to
take notes, study, and take an exam. I
am a much more hands on learner. I found
this to be the environment at Texas Tech during freshman level classes. I understand in theory why the classes were
structured in this way, but it is also no surprise that I didn’t d well in
them. I have been much more successful
in my graduate level classes where I have been asked to create projects,
websites, blogs, and portfolios.
Differing
epistemic stances lead to differing approaches to learning and instruction, and
ultimately to problem-solving. Explain differences in problem-solving when
approached from behaviorist and constructivist perspectives. How do the
approaches differ in both the nature of the problem to be solved and in
facilitating the problem solving process? Finally, what effect might these
differences have on learner motivation?
A behaviorist perspective approach to problem solving would
be based on a reward system. This is used in schools, especially mine. We had a rewards based system called Bobcat
Bucks. We gave out the “money” when
students went above and beyond in the classroom. When they helped solve a problem, motivated
others to make the right choices, or showed exemplary behavior or classwork students
were rewarded with “bucks” they could then save and spend in the Bobcat store. When students did not make the right choices
they were not rewarded and therefore did not get to participate in any of the
benefits of earning the reward. Students
began to instinctively understand the motivation to solve the problems and the
behavior was engrained into their systems. The constructivist approach is much more student involved and
is more project based as I stated earlier. The constructivist approach
focuses students on problem solving and critical thinking skills that are more
relevant to real world problems. Students are taught a mini lesson, or multiple mini lessons in the
unit and are then asked to create a project (usually from a menu). Students are able to work independently and
collaboratively depending on their focus and goals. I believe this approach will help students be
much more prepared for the real world by giving them to skills needed to think critically,
work collaboratively, and be focus on a problem and solution. The differences in these learning approaches need to be
acknowledged and I believe students need more abilities and chances to choose
which approach they enjoy and succeed in.
As I stated earlier, I personally do not do well when my class is
teacher led and am more successful when I am asked to work in more of a project
based learning environment.
Constructivism. (2016, September 08).
Retrieved June 13, 2017, from
https://www.learning-theories.com/constructivism.html
The
New Merriam-Webster Dictionary. 1989. Print.
Reiser,
R., & Dempsey, J. Trends and issues in instructional design and
technology (3rd ed.).
I enjoyed reading through your descriptions of the different learning theories. The were easy to read and had good examples. Your description of lessons early in college is definitely something I can relate to. I can sit in a lecture hall and only listen for so long before my mind wanders and I miss some of what is being taught.
ReplyDeleteI'm a combination of visual and kinesthetic learner and do better when I am able to read about then do something. Also, I would love to get a look at one of the menus you give to students to select how they will create their project. I normally give my kiddos an option or two so the idea that you might have some items I never thought of using is very intriguing.
Reading about a time when your learning objective (LO) clashed with that of the classroom teacher's lecturing style where students were expected to take notes, study, and take an exam mirrors one of the times when my (LO) classed with that of an educator also. I too am a hands on learner and I also demonstrate my learning better by creating (be it a project, website, blog, or portfolio) verses ScanTrons for example.
ReplyDeleteWhen comparing a behaviorist to a constructivist approach to problem solving, in your last paragraph you state, "The differences in these learning approaches need to be acknowledged and I believe students need more abilities and chances to choose which approach they enjoy and succeed in." That's an excellent point. Like your example with learning differently when able to work with your peers than listening to a lecture. Like Connie, I'm a combination of visual and kinesthetic learner so I need to be able to see the information presented but also be hands on. I did well when I went to school for my bachelors, learning in a lecture setting, but it makes me wonder how different my learning experience would have been had I had more professors that favored the constructivist approach.
ReplyDeleteNice work connecting to your reading this week.
I would love to know more abou your project based classroom! i teach kindergarten and we use the Engage Learning Model for our project based learning in science and social studies. The use of menus and choice when creating a final project is amazing! I am going to use this next year in my classroom. With your PBL, what kind of technology integration do you use? When we began implementing PBL using ELM we got a lot of technology. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDelete